Reputable sites do not generate spam emails or unwanted phone calls (and in most cases you can avoid giving them your phone number). Some of the surveys are conducted by Universities. Others involve trying new products, and I have 'tested' icecreams, cereal, kitchen wipes, teabags etc.
Some sites pay cash. Others let you choose a gift card (Coles/Myer, Amazon, iTunes, Bunnings, WISH cards for Woolworths/Caltex, etc). All the details will be on the site in FAQ, Help or whatever.
Survey panels to which I belong include (in order of preference):
- Pure Profile: This is my favourite, and I earn $300 per year here. Each time you log in, click 'Nextbutton' to see what surveys and other offers are available. You will qualify for more surveys if you can log in and check the NextButton more than once a day. The surveys will be more relevant if you regularly check whether there are more questions to be answered in your 'profile categories'. Pure Profile pays you 5c-20c even if you are screened out of a survey, and they pay you about 10c to look at a Web page (usually one or two per day).
- Your Voice: For Australians only. I have occasionally earned $50-$70 for a single survey here, but the smaller ones also add up to a decent amount.
- Australian Meal Panel: For Australians only. When asked for the 5 digit pin, enter 82322. Do the quick monthly survey about food and receive $5 cash (plus $3 if you send in supermarket receipts).
- My Opinions: For Australians only.
- Rewards Central: For Australians only.
Genealogists for Families members with some spare time may find surveys a good way to fund extra Kiva loans - or to earn money for more birth, death and marriage certificates!