We enable people without access to traditional banks (including many women) to expand their businesses, educate their children, save for the future and raise themselves out of poverty. Through Kiva, a non-profit organisation working with microfinance institutions, you choose a borrower to support with a loan of just $25. Similar loans by other lenders are combined until the required total is reached. As your money is repaid you can withdraw it or lend it to someone else. Money that is loaned over and over again does more good than a one-time donation. Join 'Genealogists for Families' - together we are making a difference!

26 January 2012

Meet the Team: Maureen Arthur

Today is Australia Day. Amidst the celebrations, please take a moment to think of those affected by this week's floods and other local disasters, and those who work long hours or risk their lives to keep us safe. This week's guest post is by one such person - Genealogists for Families team member Maureen Arthur from Queensland, Australia.

Tell us a bit about yourself.

I live on the beautiful Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia. I work for Queensland Fire and Rescue as a communications dispatcher (I love my job!) My hobbies include researching my family history, transcribing documents for the Queensland Family History Society, and reading, especially biographies and true crime.

What do lending and participating in this project mean to you?

I can see that my input is being directly utilised by people in need. I have had concerns in the past about how much money is used administratively by some organisations. However, I feel that I can directly contribute through this project - no 'middle man' to speak of.

Did you choose particular borrowers because their occupations or situations have some significance in your family history or your own life?

I can't say that I do. I read the biographies carefully and chose a group that appealed to me and who I thought could make a real difference to their village.

Is there a borrower whose success story inspired you?

I have seen several. I love reading about lenders who have had their loans repaid and are so excited to get their gift back into circulation with another person in need.

Do you have a strategy for raising funds or saving for your $25 loans?

Just a small jar in which I place change. I don't have a lot of money to spare, but this way I don't miss it if it's spare change.

Your Web site or blog?

Shamrocks, Shortbread and Shenanigans (http://shamrocksshortbreadandshenanigans.blogspot.com/).

Your main family history interests?

ARTHUR c1850 Liverpool, TORPEY (same as Arthur), BURTON from Cumberland, OXFORD from Dorset, McNALLY from Fermanagh, GIBBONS from Tipperary, MANSON from Caithness, McDONALD from Invernesshire, are some of my main lines. The ARTHUR line is my reinforced concrete brick wall!
- - - - - - - - -

Join Genealogists for Families. Together we can make a difference!

4 comments:

  1. Maureen, I know you had some flood damage at your home, and that you and your mates at Fire and Rescue have worked incredibly hard during the flood crisis this week. Thank you for what you do to keep us all safe. Thanks, too, for being part of the Genealogists for Families team, joining us for social events, and coming on the 'alternative genealogy cruise' from Sydney to Tasmania on 28 Feb 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, great to meet you recently. Hoping you weren't too badly affected by the floods Thank you for the work you do as one of our amazing Emergency Service personnel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maureen, I'm always in awe of great folk like you who work so tirelessly for the aid of others. Thank you on behalf of all who have ever had to call for assistance, from Fire and rescue, or Ambulance or Police or SES... as well as all those we turn to for medical help.

    You do a great job and are the unsung heroes of our community. I hope the floods haven't affected you too badly. We've been through it in a small way over the years compared to others and I know how disheartening it can be.

    Great to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your lovely comments! I absolutely love my job and the ability to really make a difference in people's lives who are doing it tough. Just like Kiva in a way!

    ReplyDelete

If you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar.