- Join Kiva. (Do this first - the link opens in a new window.)
- Choose a borrower and make a $25 loan.
- Join the 'Genealogists for Families' team (opens in a new window).
- (Optional) While logged in to Kiva, go to www.kiva.org/portfolio/loans, select the loan and then assign it to a team. If that doesn't work, use the contact form to ask for your recent loan to be linked to the team www.kiva.org/team/genealogists. (You only need to do this the first time. Future loans are linked to a team during the payment process.)
- (Optional) Edit your Kiva Lender Page to publicise your Web site, business or online family tree (see this example). Select your country from the drop-down list so we can see how widespread the team is. Go to 'Settings' then 'Account', and scroll down to 'My Lender Profile'.
- Invite your family, friends, workmates or fellow students to join Kiva (and, if they wish, our team).
We enable people without access to traditional banks (including many women) to expand their businesses, educate their children, save for the future and raise themselves out of poverty. Through Kiva, a non-profit organisation working with microfinance institutions, you choose a borrower to support with a loan of just $25. Similar loans by other lenders are combined until the required total is reached. As your money is repaid you can withdraw it or lend it to someone else. Money that is loaned over and over again does more good than a one-time donation. Join 'Genealogists for Families' - together we are making a difference!