We enable people without access to traditional banks (including many women) to expand their businesses, educate their children, save for the future and raise themselves out of poverty. Through Kiva, a non-profit organisation working with microfinance institutions, you choose a borrower to support with a loan of just $25. Similar loans by other lenders are combined until the required total is reached. As your money is repaid you can withdraw it or lend it to someone else. Money that is loaned over and over again does more good than a one-time donation. Join 'Genealogists for Families' - together we are making a difference!

09 February 2012

Meet the Team: Kylie Willison

This week's guest post is by Genealogists for Families team member Kylie Willison from South Australia.

Tell us a bit about yourself.

Genealogy is my main obsession. I also do volunteer work, run an art group, and am a beginner textile artist.

How did you hear about the Genealogists for Families project?

On the 'Australian Genealogy' group on Facebook.

What do lending and participating in this project mean to you?

I think it's better to give than receive. I enjoy giving and was very interested when I heard about the project.

Did you choose particular borrowers because their occupations or situations have some significance in your family history or your own life?

I chose a woman who works in the textile industry because I'm a beginner textile artist and because some of my ancestors also worked in the industry.

Do you have a strategy for raising funds or saving for your $25 loans?

I've started out with one initial loan which I will re-invest if it is paid back. I'm also saving coins in a box at home.

Your Web site or blog?

My website is www.kyliesgenes.com and my blog is www.blog.kyliesgenes.com/.

Your main family history interests?

My main research interests are South Australia, Victoria, Germany and UK. I love finding the stories behind the facts and sharing them on my blog.
- - - - - - - - -

Join Genealogists for Families. Together we can make a difference!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being part of the team, Kylie. I hope we can meet in person at Congress 2012 in Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too Judy, I'm looking forward to it!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar.