We enable people without access to traditional banks (including many women) to expand their businesses, educate their children, save for the future and raise themselves out of poverty. Through Kiva, a non-profit organisation working with microfinance institutions, you choose a borrower to support with a loan of just $25. Similar loans by other lenders are combined until the required total is reached. As your money is repaid you can withdraw it or lend it to someone else. Money that is loaned over and over again does more good than a one-time donation. Join 'Genealogists for Families' - together we are making a difference!

08 March 2012

Meet the Team: Diane Rogers

This week's guest post is by Genealogists for Families team member Diane Rogers from British Columbia, Canada.

Tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm now mostly retired, but busy. I regularly teach genealogy classes and I volunteer for the British Columbia Genealogical Society. I'm very interested in Canadian women's history and I do love to read, mostly history or mysteries.

How did you hear about the Genealogists for Families project?

I've been a Kiva member since 2008. I just recently happened to notice the Genealogists for Families Kiva project information on Judy Webster's website, while surfing the Internet for Australian newspaper information.

What do lending and participating in this project mean to you?

I hope in a small way I'm helping someone else to make a positive difference in their life.

Did you choose particular borrowers because their occupations or situations have some significance in your family history or your own life?

I believe I've chosen all women borrowers or women's groups. I've been interested in supporting women's projects for a long time, through MATCH, for instance.

Do you have a strategy for raising funds or saving for your $25 loans?

No - it's just me.

Your Web site or blog?

The main one is CanadaGenealogy, or, Jane's Your Aunt (www.canadagenealogy.blogspot.com). I also have a site about Newdale, Manitoba, Canada where both my mum and grandmother were born (http://newdalembgenealogy.wordpress.com/).

Your main family history research interests?

Researching family currently mainly in Canada, US, UK, and Sweden - Axner, Broström, Carmichael, Cox/Cocks, Eriksson, Gilchrist, Irwin, Löfholm, Rogers, Rydberg, Saggers, Staines, White, Zetterberg.
- - - - - - - - -

Join Genealogists for Families. Together we can make a difference!

2 comments:

  1. Diane, thanks for being part of our team and for introducing yourself here. Your taste in reading sounds similar to mine! I am not familiar with MATCH - could you tell me something about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plesed to learn a little more about a fellow geneablogger.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar.