We enable people without access to traditional banks (including many women) to expand their businesses, educate their children, save for the future and raise themselves out of poverty. Through Kiva, a non-profit organisation working with microfinance institutions, you choose a borrower to support with a loan of just $25. Similar loans by other lenders are combined until the required total is reached. As your money is repaid you can withdraw it or lend it to someone else. Money that is loaned over and over again does more good than a one-time donation. Join 'Genealogists for Families' - together we are making a difference!

16 November 2011

Repayment Day

My emails this morning included good news from Kiva: "We'd like to give you a repayment update on the loans you've made through Kiva. A total of $25.99 has been repaid today." (I made a lot of loans in September and October, hence the large repayment.) Needless to say I will be lending it again. I am looking forward to choosing my next borrower - I enjoy that process immensely!

If you are new to Kiva you may not know that repayments are usually made on the 17th or 18th of the month. Of course, it depends on the repayment schedule for your borrower. To find out what that is, look for something like this on the borrower's profile page (near the photo) and click on 'more info'.


Some of my loans are being repaid in monthly installments. Others are less regular (for example, if the business involves the raising and selling of livestock).

To see the 'big picture' for your repayments, go to 'Portfolio' - 'Estimated Repayments'.


Last month my repayments were only $3, so I added $22 and made another loan. This month's $25+ is very convenient!

3 comments:

  1. Yes I had an email as well, which is great as you know things are looking up for our borrowors as they have been able to make the repayment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my message too. I didn't realise that I didn't have to wait for one whole loan to be repaid before I could reinvest. I like the way we get an aggregated amount.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received two more repayments the following day. That was a pleasant surprise. Last month they were all credited to my Kiva account on the same day.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar.